• Announcements

• Flash Mod

Members! PLEASE READ Terms of Use and Forum Guidelines BEFORE POSTING

Before participating in our forum or any other area of AdamOfficial.com please read and acquaint yourself with the following Terms of Use and Forum Guidelines:   http://forum.adamofficial.com/topic/62357-forum-guidelines/   http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com/terms-of-service
    • Flash Mod

***HERE is how to access PRESALE CODES, VIP* and Meet and Greet* opportunities.***   01/30/2017

Before getting down to the business of access to presale codes, etc. please take note:   ***Please be advised that any member publicly posting actual presale codes anywhere on the forum (and possibly elsewhere!) or reportedly through private messages, will be banned from membership here on AO! NO EXCEPTIONS!   Our site here at adamofficial.com (aka AO) is Adam's official record label site, not his official fan club, and is not the place to find presale codes, nor are they provided through the official newsletter.   Presale codes are provided to paid members of Adam's official fan club one to several hours before the presale begins. If you are a paid member you can find the presale code in your dashboard at that site.
      The official fan club, Adam Lambert Fans, can be found here: http://www.adamlambertfans.com
      You must pay a fee to join. I believe the minimum fee is $9.99.
      Any other entity, website, or contact person on Twitter, email, etc. claiming to be representing Adam's official fan club and collecting payments other than directly at the above website is BOGUS, NOT LEGITIMATE!   Any questions you may have concerning any aspect of the fan club, including presale codes, VIP* tickets, Meet and Greet* opportunities, should only be addressed to the fan club moderators, DearBecky and addictedtoadam here on AO in the Adam Lambert Fan Club subforum. Please check to see if your question has already been posted in an existing thread there before posting a new topic. Please do not post questions concerning these subjects anywhere else on the forum. You can find the fan club subforum listed on the main forums page directly under Tour Talk.   The direct link is:
      http://forum.adamofficial.com/forum/30-adam-lambert-fan-club/   Fan club moderators, please correct me on anything I've posted that you find to be unclear or incorrect, through a PM. Thanks.   *Meet and Greet and VIP opportunities may or may not be offered.
Sign in to follow this  
kickin_in

Feeling Bummed about iHeart

So I see on Twitter and here that people are super excited about the best fandom army nom for the the iheart awards.  I get that iheart is a big deal and I want to be excited, but really I am annoyed and disappointed.  First and foremost Adam is a singer and this award has nothing to do with his singing.  I guess one could say he has such a dedicated fandom b/c he is such an amazing singer- but that doesn't necessarily correlate.  In my opinion there are plenty of  artists who cannot even sing with huge 'fan armies'- some of them the very fan armies we are up against in the nominations. To me, fan army is like a made up consolation prize.  I want recognition for Adam's music, not a measure of how much free time his fans have to spam the internet with hashtags.

Also, I don't really think Adam will win, but even if he did what will that mean?  Will that translate to airtime or streams or more followers on social media?  What is the endgame?

I've had this query numerous times over the years, never more so than in the TP era, but I have to wonder if Adam's management is at fault in some way.  I am saying the word management but I don't even know if that's what I mean.  Not being in the business I don't really know what 'management' does and I am using that term here as a blanket statement to refer to any of the myriad of people on his 'team'.  Why is he not nominated in one of the actual singing/music categories?  Why was he not nominated for a Grammy?  How does the management of say Elle King and Charlie Puth and Shawn Mendes get them played on the radio?  Is it money?  Are others willing to spend on their 'talent' while Adam's people aren't?  You have arguably one of the best male vocalists in 20 years singing radio friendly, catchy pop.  He is loved by critics and fellow iconic musicians- on paper this should spell  world domination, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd levels of success. Why doesn't it work? 

Is Adam too old?  34 is old in the world of pop, when the people he is vying for airtime with are in their early to mid twenties.  Did he go 'too out of the box' right after idol?  Are the almighty radio station program managers that afraid of a sexual gay man?

On the surface it seems WBR is supportive.  They snatched him up immediately after he announced his departure from RCA.  But what is actually being pushed?  He did dozens of radio Christmas shows, but (at least in my area) it didn't translate to increased spins or on-air interviews or performances.  What was the point?  

I get that any exposure is good exposure, and though I try to be optimistic, I am just so frustrated.  Maybe I have the winter blues and the lack of sun is confounding my sense of ennui.  I've ranted long enough.  My frustration has kept me away from this site for a while b/c I didn't want to bring in the negativity.  

I welcome any honest discussion folks want to have...

Hi kickin_in!

I really am no expert on anything you've just said, but I don't feel the management (or what ever it is) has anything to do with iheart nominations.  :huh:  I could be wrong, though. ^_^

Also, I have found that there are as many ways to be an Adam fan as there are individual fans, and I personally very seldom vote on any fan army polls. Sometimes, if I have a lot of time and energy I do, but not often. It's part of my way of being an Adam fan, but I don't in any ways think it's the right or the wrong way. I just don't find the fan army polls that meaningful to me. I see them as a way to lure clicks and activity on the web page as well as a way for fans to have (hopefully) benevolent fun by competing against each others. Yes, there might be other reasons and outcomes, but I personally don't let these kinds of polls affect myself to the point of frustration or other negative emotions. Especially when I have so little power on them and their outcomes. I can however understand your frustration, because we all want what's best for Adam - we just feel differently about different things.

I feel bad that you have felt you cannot bring your honest feelings to the forum, but surely frustrated feeling are also welcome here. That is what this Vent is here for. I hope that this "venting" helped you with your frustration even a little bit.

"On the surface it seems WBR is supportive.  They snatched him up immediately after he announced his departure from RCA.  But what is actually being pushed?  He did dozens of radio Christmas shows, but (at least in my area) it didn't translate to increased spins or on-air interviews or performances.  What was the point? "

I have often wondered that myself on several occasions Kickin.  I have been listening to various radio stations for over a month now and I have heard GT and WWFM played a couple of times.  Even the radio station that was promoting a competition to win tickets to see Adam play exclusively, possibly played GT once a day??? In my opinion, Adam is still unknown to the masses here in Australia, largely I believe because of lack of airplay.  We know it's not lack of talent. So any poll that I am able to vote on, that in any way, shape or form can bring some publicity toward Adam, I will participate  :D But I do understand your frustrations Kickin, you are not alone  ;) 

Oh the struggles we Glamberts have had to endure. What is the answer? Who knows? This nomination means absolutely nada. It will in no way affect his career let's be honest. Now why he is not popular I can think of many reasons. You stated is he too old. YES. I believe that is a factor. Too old for the tweens and those are the ones controlling the music that is being played. I asked my son this question just recently WHY? isn't he popular and his exact words were "MOM, he's too old". I don't think that is the only factor of course. NO promo here in the states. JES he's been overseas for like months. Hibernating since his album was released. GOOD CALL???????????!!!!!!!!!!. WTH? Releasing ALN after GT was the worst decision ever. ALN is a horrible single selection. NOONE in their teens is gonna relate to that song. TOH or EITN would have made more sense. I am surprised to hear his music doesn't get played in Australia since that is where 90% of his promo has been. Just giving some suggestions. The world may never know. He's doing alright. These opinions are my own

Didn't gt go #1 in oz? In.any case. Most of these award shows nominates music that was the most commercially successful. Gt just didn't chart wll enough on the Bb 200. Was an unexpected top 20 us pop radio hit. But beyond that. Was sent surprised. Ihr grammys etc. Aint really about the best voice. But the overall work. Taylor ain't the best singer. But she has a blueprint. Her label do we'll to expose. Adam seems to hip for hac. But not cool enough for chc or mainstream pop. Hes almost homeless on radio lol. Is he too old? Not realky he wss 27. When he hit big. Katy Perry is nearing 30 now. Adam ain't your take it or leave it artist. Hes polarizing. Someone like sam smith does better. As hes more safe to mainstream america. Adam is like a hurricane some can only deal with him in drizzles. Adam may NEVER reach megastar lvl. But tbh he has steady success. That's almost better. Lokk at how Gaga crashed and burnt. Or how miserable Bieber is. He well get A grammy nom one day again. Hes too talented. They can't ignore him forever.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think his age is a big factor. Katy Perry is 31. Andy Grammar is 32. Adam Levine is 36. They're all over the radio here.

Yeah that's true. Robin.Thicke, Pharall. Alot of the big hits are from older artists. Not that 31 is old lol. But its true Pop is a young person's game. Not necessarily. That's just for advertisers. Its all promo. And right time. I just think timing is all wrong for Adam imo. Trespassing year to early. Released say year later would have been all over radio. Gt wss all over radio. It was different. And had a great hook. That whistle too. So no its not his age.

"Why was he not nominated for a Grammy?" - kickin_in

Adam chose the glutted genre of electro-pop. When you follow the crowd, it increases the likelihood that you will get lost in the crowd. In addition, I think the Grammy Nominated "Whataya Want from Me" is better than his current work. Go ahead and hate me, that's the way I feel.

Adam chose the glutted genre of electro-pop. When you follow the crowd, it increases the likelihood that you will get lost in the crowd. In addition, I think the Grammy Nominated "Whataya Want from Me" is better than his current work. Go ahead and hate me, that's the way I feel.

Why would we hate you because of your feelings, don't understand?  :huh:

Anyways, eventhough I have really grown out of WWFM by now, I agree that when it was released it was a great song.  :) It also is possible that it's genre is more "grammy" than let's say Ghost Town's genre. But I don't know if Adam has "followed the crowd" more than he has followed himself with his newest album? It's a tricky business - trying to be true to yourself and trying to be "in" and get awarded.

Didn't gt go #1 in oz? In.any case. Most of these award shows nominates music that was the most commercially successful. Gt just didn't chart wll enough on the Bb 200. Was an unexpected top 20 us pop radio hit. But beyond that. Was sent surprised. Ihr grammys etc. Aint really about the best voice. But the overall work. Taylor ain't the best singer. But she has a blueprint. Her label do we'll to expose. Adam seems to hip for hac. But not cool enough for chc or mainstream pop. Hes almost homeless on radio lol. Is he too old? Not realky he wss 27. When he hit big. Katy Perry is nearing 30 now. Adam ain't your take it or leave it artist. Hes polarizing. Someone like sam smith does better. As hes more safe to mainstream america. Adam is like a hurricane some can only deal with him in drizzles. Adam may NEVER reach megastar lvl. But tbh he has steady success. That's almost better. Lokk at how Gaga crashed and burnt. Or how miserable Bieber is. He well get A grammy nom one day again. Hes too talented. They can't ignore him forever.

Thanks for the discussion everyone.  Family has been sick so RL kept me away.  

I like your analogy about only being able to deal with Hurricane Adam in drizzles :D

And I agree with you that he seems too cool for HAC and not cool enough for mainstream pop.  Sometimes I just wonder what his team is thinking.  The article below makes the case that he should begin promoting TOH as a single now so that it will reach critical mass in the summer and that a video should only be released once there is a buzz on radio.  It makes sense to me, but I am not in the biz so I really don't know.  I just feel like he is so incredibly talented and if all these no talent/limited talent acts shoot up the charts it must be something his team is doing wrong that Adam can't find his footing in the US.  

https://musicindustrysandbox.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/adam-lambert-should-start-promoting-the-original-high-to-radio-in-february/

I think Adam's age in general isn't the factor, but the target group that he's trying to reach with dance pop isn't quite feeling it. Ghost Town was a decent success though and reached younger demographics. ALN? I like the song but I don't love it and I'm not feeling it as a single. I always cringe when Adam states in interviews how he follows trends. Musically, I think that's dangerous and I agree that there's a high risk of "drowning in the crowd". Someone like Adam should not be a follower. I consider TOH his defining song of era 3. Very unique song, just like some on the Trespassing album. The title track and Shady and Runnin are still my favorite - but unfortunately those were not promoted. I am tempted to say that pop rock would be better for Adam than dance pop as I feel so incredibly drawn to the Runnin/Chokehold/Sleepwalker tour medley, but then again it's all about a unique song that has the Adam stamp on it. 

I have never been a huge fan of WWFM but I understand why it became successful. It's a genre that works for Adam and the simple honesty within this song allows him to connect emotionally. I don't think that WWFM was "better" than his current work but it was very mainstream friendly. 

Ok, I'm showing my age because in response to whether it's an 'age' issue, I'm going to say one word:  Madonna.  Her career came and went so often and into her later years... So I don't think that's it.  He works his ass off, seems to do his label's bidding with promos and everything to the possible point of exhaustion, and I believe he's also letting go of the reigns more in song-selection (think I also heard that in a somewhat recent interview of his).  I'm absolutely on board with agreeing that it's the myriad of people who are directing his career.  It also has to be really hard for an artist to know who to trust to best represent them.

David Cook has practically faded into obscurity because I don't think he's hopped to the tune of those around him and insisted on staying true to his music.  I love David.  I think he wasted some opportunities given to him (like winning, as opposed to coming in 2nd).  His music is still excellent -- yes, I like lots of different genres -- though only a handful of artists.  Adam on the other hand, if given the right break could skyrocket to where he should be.

In other words, it's FRUSTRATING AS ALL HELL.  He deserves so much more.

Ok, I'm showing my age because in response to whether it's an 'age' issue, I'm going to say one word:  Madonna.  Her career came and went so often and into her later years... So I don't think that's it.  He works his ass off, seems to do his label's bidding with promos and everything to the possible point of exhaustion, and I believe he's also letting go of the reigns more in song-selection (think I also heard that in a somewhat recent interview of his).  I'm absolutely on board with agreeing that it's the myriad of people who are directing his career.  It also has to be really hard for an artist to know who to trust to best represent them.

David Cook has practically faded into obscurity because I don't think he's hopped to the tune of those around him and insisted on staying true to his music.  I love David.  I think he wasted some opportunities given to him (like winning, as opposed to coming in 2nd).  His music is still excellent -- yes, I like lots of different genres -- though only a handful of artists.  Adam on the other hand, if given the right break could skyrocket to where he should be.

In other words, it's FRUSTRATING AS ALL HELL.  He deserves so much more.

Totally agree with your last sentence!

I am sure Adam is right about "gatekeepers".. I've always thought it is so because the actual fans don't have a problem - they buy music they like. But if the "gatekeepers" get in the way of radio play etc.new audiences are not given the chance to hear the songs through that source.

But I wonder why the gatekeepers seem against Adam so specifically?  There was not issue playing Sam Smith.  Is it because SS sort of presents himself as a 'non-sexual' homosexual- if that makes any sense?  

When he's been on different shows, like Elvis Duran or Ryan Secrest the djs seem honestly into the music- but long gone are the days of djs making a playlist.  

It's very frustrating.

Kicking_in. I think your argument about Sam Smith has some merit. I'm not really a fan of SS, but he does abjure any sexual aura of any kind in his performance. He lives inside the comfortable narrative of being the sad, unfulfilled gay boy that so many people embrace. Adam, on the other hand, is obviously a fulfilled gay man enjoying his life and being overtly sexual in his performances (though not necessarily homosexual all the time). He knows he appeals to many demographics and he enjoys tittilating all of us. Sadly, there are still people who find that threatening. But I wouldn't have Adam any other way. And I don't think Adam could have or should have played it "safe" with his image when he first started out. If he sacrifices some modicum of success due to his choices, so what? He is still an international superstar and is recognized as such around the globe.

Kicking_in. I think your argument about Sam Smith has some merit. I'm not really a fan of SS, but he does abjure any sexual aura of any kind in his performance. He lives inside the comfortable narrative of being the sad, unfulfilled gay boy that so many people embrace. Adam, on the other hand, is obviously a fulfilled gay man enjoying his life and being overtly sexual in his performances (though not necessarily homosexual all the time). He knows he appeals to many demographics and he enjoys tittilating all of us. Sadly, there are still people who find that threatening. But I wouldn't have Adam any other way. And I don't think Adam could have or should have played it "safe" with his image when he first started out. If he sacrifices some modicum of success due to his choices, so what? He is still an international superstar and is recognized as such around the globe.

Too beautifully written opinion. I like your direction.

Sizzling I also always cringe when he says he follows trends or it's his job to look at trends.  I get where he is coming from- that' it's good to know what's trending and what's current, but he's making it sound like he will calibrate what he produces based on trends.  Which he doesn't do- Adam always seems to be very true to himself and his vision for whatever he is creating.